Stress Management Scale
Score each of the items listed on a scale of 1-5,
according to how much of the time each statement applies to you.
- Almost always
- More than half the time
- About half
- Sometimes, but not often
- I eat at least one hot, balanced meal a day.
- I get 7 to 8 hours sleep at least 4 nights per week.
- I give and receive affection regularly.
- I have at least one relative within 50 miles on whom I can rely.
- I exercise to the point of perspiration at least twice a week.
- I smoke less than half a pack of cigarettes per day.
- I drink fewer than 5 alcoholic drinks per week.
- I am the appropriate weight for my height.
- I have an income adequate to meet basic expenses.
- I get strength from my religious beliefs.
- I regularly attend club or social activities.
- I have a network of friends and acquaintances.
- I have one or more friends to confide in about personal matters.
- I am in good health (including eyesight, hearing, teeth).
- I am able to speak openly about my feelings when angry or worried.
- I have regular conversations with people I live with about domestic problems; e.g., chores, money, daily life.
- I do something for fun at least once per week.
- I am able to organize my time effectively.
- I drink fewer than 3 cups of coffee (or hot tea or cola drinks).
- I take quiet time for myself during the day.
TOTAL YOUR SCORE
To get your score, add up the figures and subtract 20.
Any number over 30 may indicate a vulnerability to stress.
You may be seriously vulnerable if your score is between 50 and 75.
And you may be extremely vulnerable if it is over 75.